The common name of Barnyard millet in Indian languages
- English : Barnyard Millet
- Bengali: Shyama
- Hindi: Sanwa chawal (सांवा)
- Kannada: Oodalu
- Oriya: Khira
- Gujarati: Moraiyo
- Punjabi: Swank
- Tamil: Kuthiraivaly
- Telugu : Udalu, Kodisama
Nutritional value (per 100 gms)
- Calories (KCal) 342
- Protein (g) 11.2
- Fat (g) 3.9
- Fibre (g) 10.1
- Iron (mg) 15.2
- Calcium (mg) 11
- Minerals (g) 4.4
Health benefits of Barnyard millet
- Low in calories: It is a good source of highly digestible protein and is the least caloric dense compared to other cereals. Almost, one serving of barnyard millets (25g, raw) contains 75-83 calories and 1.5-1.9 g of protein.
- Low in the glycemic index: The carbohydrate content in Barnyard Millet is quite low. Hence it can be recommended for patients with cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Dietary fibre: It contains a good amount of both soluble and insoluble fibre. The content of fibre in this millet is highest compared to other millets; it is as high as 12.6% including soluble (4.2%) and insoluble (8.4%) fractions. It thus helps in preventing constipation, excess gas, bloating and cramping.
- Gluten-free: Like all millets, barnyard millet is also gluten-free.
Barnyard millet is one among the 5 positive millets, as recommended by Dr. Khader vali